Ruth Carter – Lawyer. Writer. Speaker.
I like puzzles. The law gives me a framework of rules & my clients give me a unique set of facts & circumstances. It’s my job to determine how the two fit together. I am insatiably curious. I love challenging situations like internet law where the applicable laws were often written before the internet existed & I have to figure out how the law can & should be applied. It’s hard work, but the part that makes it hard is also the part that makes it fun for me.
I live & breathe social media, blogging, & flash mob law. These are exciting areas of law that are still developing. I like to tinker with the numerous ways to approach these situations & decide what the strongest arguments are in a particular case. It’s critical that decisions regarding these areas of law are made correctly the first time by informed judges & legislators because changing the laws is an arduous process.
Prior to law school, I was a mental health therapist. I liked working with people & their problems, but I wanted to have a more hands-on role in the problem-solving process. As an attorney, I enjoy working with creative people & entrepreneurs. They have a wonderful energy & I love the feeling I get when I get to help a new endeavor get off the ground or help an artist protect their work.
Outside my law practice, I am a co-founder of Improv AZ, a prank & flash mob troupe in Phoenix, & I am a volunteer assistant stage manager for Ignite Phoenix. In my not so free time, I am an aspiring minimalist who enjoys running, going on adventures, watching Star Trek, and playing with my basset hound Rosie.
- Juris Doctorate with an Intellectual Property Certificate, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, 2011
- Masters of Science – Counseling, Oregon State University, 2003
- Honors Bachelors of Science – Psychology, Chemistry Minor, Oregon State University, 2001
- The Legal Side of Blogging for Lawyers
- Flash Mob Law: The Legal Side of Planning and Participating in Pillow Fights, No Pants Rides, and Other Shenanigans
- The Legal Side of Blogging: How Not to get Sued, Fired, Arrested, or Killed
- Undeniable Ruth, Personal Blog
- Attorney at Work, Monthly Columnist
- Law Technology News, Contributor
- Phoenix Business Journal 40 Under 40, 2013
- American Bar Association Legal Rebel, 2012
- Phoenix New Times Big Brain Award Finalist, 2011